- 200g Granulated sugar
- 200ml of Cream (30% fat)
- 2 TSP Vanilla essence
- Put a thick based pan or pot onto high heat for a moment to heat up, then add the sugar. (Heat constantly at 3-4 on the ring)
- When half of sugar has melted, lower heat to medium.
- When sugar has melted (see TIP) drizzle cream in slowly and stir to avoid cold spots. Mixture will bubble and rise.
- Leave for one minute to boil
- Take off heat and allow to cool.
TIP: Pan should be hot enough to melt sugar fast but not hot enough to burn. Shake pan to avoid burnt spots.
TIP: If sugar starts smoking you're on the point of no return. Take off heat very soon.
TIP: When melted, set aside some sugar and try to check it hasn't burnt.
TIP: If sugar is smoking or close to burning and still has lumps, add cream anyway, and just sieve the lumps later
Alternate - Caramel potatoes: Potatoes (750g potatoes, 50g butter, 150g sugar) (150g (2 portions) - 3 TBSP sugar, 1 tbsp heaped butter)